- China 303 Stainless steel has excellent machinability. Machining can be enhanced by adhering to the following rules:
- Cutting edges must be kept sharp. Dull edges cause excess work hardening.
- Cuts should be light but deep enough to prevent work hardening by riding on the surface of the material.
- Chip breakers should be employed to assist in ensuring swarf remains clear of the work
- Low thermal conductivity of austenitic alloys results in heat concentrating at the cutting edges. This means coolants and lubricants are necessary and must be used in large quantities.